Why Buy GECA?
Why buy GECA certified products?
We all care about the impact we have on the planet and want to do the right thing through our purchasing decisions. We know how important it is to make sure products or services we bring into our homes and offices are healthy and safe for our families and colleagues, while also minimising the environmental impact of our choices.
Many businesses have realised how crucial their role in this is and have taken steps to improve their products or services by making them more sustainable. Through choosing GECA certified products you are helping yourself and supporting those businesses that are doing the right thing.
The GECA ecolabel shows that a product or service has been rigorously assessed for its impact over its life cycle and it is safer for you and your family or colleagues. When you choose GECA certified products you can have confidence in the environmental and health claims of the product.Close
Benefits of buying GECA certified products
- Environmentally preferable
Deciding to choose GECA certified products means that you are making a better decision for the environment. GECA certified products or services have been rigorously and independently assessed to ensure they are environmentally preferable. GECA is different from some other ecolabels because it takes into account the environmental impact of a product throughout its life — from where raw materials come from to how the product is eventually disposed of.
- Addresses health impacts
We understand that you want to protect your family and those around you (not to mention yourself!), which is why we address the impacts that products have on human health. We ensure that our certified products consider the effects of toxic chemicals such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or carcinogenic substances on human health.
- Considers social impacts
We care about the conditions in which certified products are manufactured, which is why GECA's standards consider the social impacts of the products it certifies, including safer and more ethical working conditions.
- Something for everyone
GECA is a multi-sector program; meaning it has standards for many types of products from furniture to cleaning products, and paint to building materials.
- Better for business
Purchasing GECA certified products can bring benefits to your business. A healthy and sustainable work environment can improve the health and productivity of your staff as well as offering a cost-effective solution. Furthermore, supporting your environmental aspirations by choosing GECA certified products can also be an important message to give to your staff and other stakeholders.
Eligibility for GBCA Green Star projects
If you are a Green Star professional or are specifying for Green Star projects, GECA makes the process easier for you. We have over 2000 products certified, with many of them eligible for use in Green Star projects.
Here are some of the benefits of specifying GECA certified products in Green Star projects:
- Efficiency: no need to collect excessive documentation or to complete the Calculators in full for each project
- Certainty: that your chosen GECA products will be Green Star compliant
- Easy to find: simply tick the Green Star applicable box when searching on the GECA web-based product database
How can I help?
- We are all consumers. Everyone who runs a business, shops for the family or works in the bank makes purchasing decisions on a daily basis. Whether for personal or business use we are all able to make choices that are better for the environment. So first and foremost, choose GECA certified products.
Please visit our Find Products section to search for products or services that are better for the environment.
- If a product you use or want to buy isn't certified or you're not sure about its environmental credentials, ask your retailer or the manufacturer to get GECA certification then everyone can be confident their products really are environmentally preferable.
- If you are an organisation with green credentials consider applying for certification to assure your customers that you take these issues seriously.
Please visit our Why Get Certified? section to find out more about certifying with GECA.
- If you are an organisation looking to manufacture greener products, or perhaps a business looking to implement greener strategies consider switching to greener materials and processes (as outlined in our standards) and then applying for GECA certification. Many companies have told us that simply seeking GECA accreditation has helped them make big improvements in how they make their products.
Please visit Our Standards page to view our currently published standards.