GECA and Green Star
GECA is recognised under the Green Building Council of Australia's (GBCA) Assessment Framework for Product Certification Schemes. GECA certified products are rewarded in Green Star Material Calculators and will be rewarded under the new Fitout Calculators.
Six current GECA standards are recognised for Green Star:
- GECA 28-2010 v2.1 - 'Furniture, Fittings & Foam' - Level A recognition;
- GECA 50-2011 v2 - 'Carpets' - Level A recognition;
- GECA 25-2011 v2 - 'Floor Coverings' - Level A recognition;
- GECA 04-2011 v2 - 'Panel Boards' - Level A recognition;
- GECA 40-2008 v1.1 - 'Hard Surfacing' - Level A recognition;
- GECA 28-2006 Modified 2010 v2 - 'Furniture and Fittings' - Level B recognition
One closed GECA standard is recognised for Green Star:
- GECA 28-2010 v2 - 'Furniture and Fittings' - Level A recognition
Earlier versions of some of these standards are recognised for projects registered before July 2010. For further details see chart below.
GECA benefits to Green Star Building Professionals
Specify GECA into your Green Star projects and gain:
- Efficiency: no need to collect excessive documentation or complete the Calculators in full for each project
- Certainty that your chosen GECA products will be Green Star compliant
- Recognition with Australia’s most recognised and respected Ecolabel.
Green Star Points for GECA's GBCA-Recognised Standards
Green Star Fitout Calculators and Material Calculators credits cover the performance of furniture, assemblies and flooring. Therefore, products that meet the Green Star performance criteria can contribute towards earning points needed for Green Star certification.
Since 1 July 2010, the credit obtained for GECA certified products is determined by when the Green Star project was registered with the GBCA: prior to 1 July 2010 or on or after 1 July 2010. Further changes will occur once GBCA Fitout Calculators come into effect.
(Please note that further information on Green Star Points for Furniture and Fittings Products is detailed in a separate table following)
Green Star Points for Furniture and Fittings Products
In the case of three versions of the GECA 28 Furniture and Fittings Standard released since 2007 (one in 2007 and two updates in 2010), the following points and recognition apply: