A brief history of GECA
- 2000: Environmental Choice Australia (ECA) ecolabelling program commences under the auspices of the Australian Environmental Labelling Association (AELA) lead by Petar Johnson as CEO. (See here for details of our early history and founder)
- 2002: ECA becomes GECA, creates its first standards and begins certification.
- 2006: Good Environmental Choice Australia (GECA) incorporated as an independent Not For Profit standards setting and licensing body; takes over Environmental Choice Australia ecolabelling program and AELA standards and auditing functions separated.
- 2008: Ian Higgins appointed as CEO.
- 2009-10: Governance review of GECA, new constitution and structure established. New Board directors with government, consumer and market research Judy Hollingworth appointed as CEO.
- 2010-11: Release of revised Furniture and Fittings, Panel Boards, Floor Coverings and Carpet standards – all recognised by the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA). NCS International commenced as first of GECA's JAS ANZ accredited independent auditors.
- 2011-12: Release of Paints and Coatings standard and revised Hard Surfacing standard. New geca.org.au website launched including easy to use database of certified products.
- 2012-13: Release of Cleaning Products Standard. Rupert Posner appointed as CEO